Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My new all-time favorite Christmas Jars story?

This one brought a tear (or seven) to my eye.

(Name withheld)

We had just came home from Ward Christmas Party. I was getting the baby ready for bed and I saw someone run by the window and then I hear the doorbell ring. I saw the same person run by the window again. I wasn't sure I recognized him. After getting the baby settled I went to the door and there was a gallon jar. I wasn't sure what was in it, but it was heavy because it slipped out of my fingers as I lifted it up. Once I got it off the ground, I saw that it was change. I brought it in and attached in a bag with a ribbon to the jar was this book. My wife, oldest son, and I counted out just over 300 dollars in change!

My wife had been involved in a serious car accident where the occupant of the other vehicle died. She was unhurt, but suffers emotional trauma. This compounded with trying to get a business off the ground and 5 kids was making me wonder if I would be able to provide any sort of Christmas to my children.

As we were counting out the change we slowly came to the realization how the family that did this for us must have felt as they were slowly adding money to this jar throughout the year. This was a humbling experience, especially for my son as he shared his feelings with us about this experience. Thank you for such a wonderful idea. I will be sure to read the book.

Epilogue: The next Sunday, I went to church. I was speaking with our Bishop in a meeting before church and I mentioned this to him. As I was telling him about this, I saw a smile come across his face. He said he knew who did it. He also mentioned that they have been doing this for 3 years and had done it with 3 different families. This was the first time in 3 years he has heard anything back on it. I asked him to tell that family that we were grateful for their generosity and thoughts. He also said that gratitiude is something he rarely sees as he helps the needy with assistance the church can give. He told me he would definitely pass my families feelings on to the family that has been doing this for the last 3 years.

2 comments: