Saturday, December 20, 2008

A Christmas Jars poem by another miracle worker

This just came in from someone taking the Christmas Jars tradition to a whole new level!

This is the note I left inside the Christmas Jar I am leaving at someone's doorstep in a few days.

Christmas Jar

It isn’t much,
Spare change really;
Coins tossed in a drawer
Or in a jar for later use;
The kind I used to hear
Jingle in my Daddy’s pocket
As he reached in
To buy me a soda pop
On a Saturday afternoon.

These are the things that linger;
Like the smells of
A Thanksgiving dinner,
Long after a prayer;
Through every corner
Of the house,
After the dishes have been put away
And the family settles in for a long night’s slumber;
When you can finally rest your head
From a long day of labor.

Now, as the holidays are upon us,
Let the jingle bring a momentary smile;
Like the sound of tiny reindeer
To a child immersed in a Christmas dream;
Warmth to the heart of a mother,
Knowing another day is spent together,
As it seems the hardships go on forever,
But there is always love no matter
The consequence that life deals out;
Hope when there seems only despair.

And so, from our family to yours;
We wish you a blessed Merry Christmas; a Happy New Year!

I already know the family who will be getting this jar. I know that the mother has several young children at home and a mother she is caring for who has cancer. The one son has had bouts of health problems and is facing surgery. I know it's not much, but I have been blessed with a beautiful family with healthy boys. Letting someone know you care and offering a little hope is worth so much more. Thank you Jason for bringing home this fact through your writing. God Bless!

5 comments:

  1. This was a wonderful poem and a great idea for some encouragement to those recieving the jars! I am going today with my parents and my children to give away our very first Christmas Jar. I am so excited and thankful to read these other encouraging stories of CJ givers and those of CJ recievers!!! May God Bless you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun, Molly! Hope it goes well. I trust you'll email me with the details? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful poem! We have our first jar and are still deciding who to give it to. We have a we have 2 families that are in need of some help this Christmas season. Wish us luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Already emailed them to you, Jason! :o)

    ReplyDelete