Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Mixed emotions on 9/11

Talk about mixed emotions.

Obviously today is an important day in American history, an anniversary that will always mean something special to everyone alive on 9/11/2001. I was working with a political think-tank in DC and felt particularly connected to the tragedy, though I was not personally affected. Yes, an acquaintance died that day, Barbara Olson from the flight that crashed into the Pentagon. But we'd not chatted in some time and it wasn't a close relationship.

So today we honor the victims. This day will always be about them...

Why then mixed emotions? Today is also the day my new book, The Wednesday Letters, hits stores nationwide. It's almost embarassing to talk about the excitement of the day for my family and me when I know others around the country are feeling the rush of grief, anger and emptiness that will come on this day as long as the survivors live.

Nevertheless this is the day, and mine certainly isn't the only book hitting stores today. (Tuesday is the industry standard for new books, CDs and DVDs.)

I'll be signing the new book tonight at a Barnes and Noble in Fairfax. (Address here.) If you're in the area and have a moment between 5-8, do stop by.

And God Bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment