Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas Jar Story: 'My husband is dying of leukemia'

Simply amazing! This is what the tradition of the Christmas Jar is all about.

Hagerstown, MD

My husband is dying of leukemia and one night I was sitting in the bedroom beside him looking at my deceased mother's photo album when I heard the doorbell. When I answered it, nobody was there but on the doormat was a book with a jar tied to it with a red gingham ribbon. I took it inside and ran to the window to see if I could see anyone outside. I did not. About that time the phone rang and a girl said for me to open my door there was a gift for me and she hung up.

I went back to the bedroom and began reading the Christas Jars book to find out the meaning of this gift. I was shaking and in disbelief that anyone would do such a king and generous act for us.

The next day about noontime, I finally decided to open the jar and count the contents. To my amazement, there was over $500 in the jar! I believe my mother was my angel that night that caused this wonderful act of kindness to come to us. Not knowing how to properly thank an anonyomous giver, I decided that the best thing I could do would be to start my own Christmas jar so that next year I can lift someone's spirits the way mine was this Christmas when things were so difficult. It's something I will never forget.

God's love did come down at Christmas.

3 comments:

  1. wow. i still marvel at your book and the power within it. reading all the different ways people have been touched by the christmas jar has so inspired me to do something myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These stories certainly help remind us of the power of kindness in a harsh world. How blessed you must feel, Jason, to have been the Creator's vessel for this magnificent work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i heard about the christmas jar on tanksgiving on glen beck i save 20.00 in change and giving it to a little 4 yr old whos mom is in jail and he is at his aunty house no parents dad may show up to spent some time with mikey thanks you for the chrismas jar i will try to start saving after new years to have a better jar next year

    ReplyDelete