Saturday, April 5, 2008

Please tell me it's not Friday night!

OK, more like early Saturday morning. I'm taking a short break to check email and let all seven of my loyal fans know I'm still alive.

Only 6 days to go! (Actually 6.5 if you predict that I'll be writing until Friday afternoon when the manuscript must be delivered. I think they call that an "even money" bet.)

Perhaps one day I'll expain the reasons I'm pushing right up to the deadline for Recovering Charles. Suffice it to say, for now, that I've been under a ridiculous amount of stress with another matter. (Not writing related.)

I'm working hard to push those distractions from my mind and concentrate. (Not my strong suit, trust me.) Wait, was I saying something?

So a quick anecdote: I'm staying for a couple days at a hotel in Winchester, VA, about 40 miles from home. Believe it or not it's the only way to ensure peace and quiet. (Love those four kids!) I can really focus for hours-on-end in hotels. Several of my writer-friends do this from time-to-time.

Earlier today I took a quick break to hit the vending machines at the end of my hallway. As I walked back carrying $5 worth of totally healthy snacks, and generally feeling sorry for myself, one of the housekeepers said "hello" and asked me how I was. I said I was "surviving," one of my standard lines, and then returned the courtesy.

"And how are you?"

"Oh, OK, I just had to flip a mattress because someone wet the bed." She said it with the biggest, most sincere smile. I couldn't help but think she really loves her job. She must be grateful for it to have such a positive attitude.

After making a goofy looking face I wished her well and walked on.

"Hope your day gets better," she called out to me.

I returned to my room and felt about as worthless as the empty sugar I was about to ingest from a pack of gummy bears. Am I sufficiently grateful for my job?

Sometimes I forget how much the Lord has blessed me to do what I do. At every opportunity I've tried to submarine my own success and He has stepped in and said, "Not so fast, my friend, I am with you."

I have no idea why the Lord has blessed me in spite of so many shortcomings. But it's probably time I do a better job of recognizing his presence in my life and count my blessings.

One by one.

6 comments:

  1. We all go through those times of realizing we are not being grateful...we're whining and complaining when we have nothing to whine and complain about...that's what makes us human. What's awesome is when we realize it and can sit back in awe and wonder at just how much God loves us and understands. Cut yourself some slack and rest in the peace that HE is the captain of your life and your success and HE will provide and lead you all the way. NONE of us are worthy (in our own minds) but HE sees what we don't! I also pray for your other situation...whatever it may be. God is in control, HE loves you and ALL things work together for good to those who are called...you are one of THOSE! Keep your chin up and be thankful...God loves you so much HE took the time to speak to you through a housekeeper in a hotel in Winchester!

    God Bless!
    Kim
    www.journeytohannah.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kim, this really hit the spot. This is a great line: "God loves you so much HE took the time to speak to you through a housekeeper in a hotel in Winchester!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Randa, you're the best, thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the story was going to end with you going back to your room and noticing that the matress had been flipped

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, but that would have been hilarious :)

    ReplyDelete